home hornady redding dillon lee rcbs ar15

Calling all RCBS Pro-2000 users!

Recently, I gathered feedback from Lee Loadmaster owners. Today it’s time to call out to all you RCBS Pro-2000 owners! You APS-loving cast iron frame equipped people know who you are. :)

RCBS Pro-2000 setup to load .223 Remington - Image copyright 2011 Ultimate Reloader

So what was it about the RCBS Pro-2000 that made you decide to buy into that system? What do you like about it now that you have it? What don’t you like? What do you load with it? Do you buy APS strips pre-loaded, or do you “roll your own”?

Here’s some things I like about this press:

• APS priming system works well – especially when you use pre-loaded strips
  • Cast iron construction is super-beefy
  • Flex-free handle
  • Convenient bin hangers and side tray

Here’s a video showing the Pro-2000 loading 308 Winchester:

This is a great press for loading rifle ammo. The Pro-2000 does not have a case feeder, but for many progressive reloading scenarios you don’t need a case feeder. The press I have (shown here) is of the auto-indexing variety. You can also get a manually indexing version (works kind of like the Dillon RL-550b – you turn a star wheel to index manually).

Anyone use the tube priming system? I haven’t tried it.

OK guys, get your “Green-On” and tell us about your Pro-2000!

Thanks,
Gavin

Thanks for visiting my reloading blog!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Calling all RCBS Pro-2000 users!”

1. Mitch says:

The Pro 2000 (manual index) is my very first press and I put a lot of work into researching it before I purchased. I decided on the manual index as it would slow me down and force me to focus more on the process. I’m a high volume shooter and needed (wanted?) a press that could keep up and that I wouldn’t need to spend a ton of time on per session. Some other reasons I decided on it are:

1. Upgradeable to auto index and a bullet feeder. The machine can grow as my skill does making my investment more worth while over the long term.
    2. 5 stations allow more flexibility as compared to the 550 which I was also considering
    3. The die head allows me to change calibers without moving the powder measure. The time it takes to switch from 223 to 9mm is minimal.
    4. APS system – I was sold on the added safety of the APS strips and didn’t want to load pick up tubes. In hindsight, the APS primer loader probably isn’t much faster and pick up tubes are probably easier (the primers don’t always slip into the slot because the press bar is too low on mine). Buying preloaded strips solves that problem however.
    5. The quality and service are on par with any other manufacturer
    6. It was “different”. I know that sounds cliche’ but Dillon has been around so long in the progressive world that there are a lot of users therein creating a louder voice. The features of the Pro 2000 appeared well thought out and logical. I was willing to take a chance on the underdog and wasn’t disappointed.

I took my time setting it up and dialing it in before loading any ammunition. Doing that gave me a good understanding of the machine which helped me trouble shoot it and run it smoothly. So far I love it and am a very satisfied Pro 2000 user and first time reloader.

2. John says:

I have had the Pro 2000 for almost two years now. It is a great press. It is ultra reliable and very sturdy. I have no real complaints. I have ordered the RCBS Tube Pistol Bullet Feeder in 45 ACP. I am hoping this works well. They need to make one in 223.

• Gavin says:

John- if you are referring to the motorized bullet feeder that RCBS makes, it’s available in 3 different forms:
      1. Pistol bullet feeder kit (works with multiple calibers)
      2. .22 caliber rifle bullet feeder (works with .223 and other 22 cal cartridges like 22-250)
      3. .30 caliber rifle bullet feeder (works with .308, 30-06, etc)

• John says:

Gavin – I was referring to the new tube only pistol bullet feeder where you manually stack the pistol bullets in the tube. I would like to see the same idea in 223. It would be a lot cheaper than the motorized version.

3. Vuctor C. Tortorici says:

Why do you use Reddings Bullet Seating Die Instead of RCBS’s?

• Gavin says:

Here I was using the Redding seating die because of the micrometer depth adjustment (RCBS does make a die like that) and the “sliding collar” alignment system. Lots of options for die configurations! :)

4. Dallas says:

I only load .45 acp and used a piggyback for several years but was never comfortable with the safety of the unshielded primer tube on that press. I upgraded about a year ago to the pro 2000 with the auto index and couldn’t be happier. I like the aps priming system, the heavy cast frame, and the way the auto index is designed. Up until last week, I have always seated and crimped in separate dies, but I just added the RCBS lock out die and think it is a great addition. And as a previous poster noted, “everyone” uses Dillon, so I would agree that there is some pleasure in being different.

I don’t make it there often, but I really like your website and studied your press comparisons before I purchased the pro 2000.

5. Dave says:

I viewed all of your videos before deciding to purchase the Pro 2000 one year ago. After using it for a year now to load 9mm 45ACP and 38 Spl I am convinced that I made the right choice. It has never given me any problems. I can load 300 rounds in an evening without a single problem cropping up. I have never had to adjust or tweak anything, and caliber changes are easy and quick.

I have three die plates set up for my three calibers. Each has a Lee sizer, RCBS expander, , RCBS lockout die, and a Lee bullet seat/crimp die. This setup works reliably and well.

My primary reasons for buying the Pro 2000 were the safety of the primer system (I live in a condo building) and the quick caliber change over. Since then, I’ve found that the powder measure is incredibly accurate and easy to adjust. I’ve very happy with my press, and I credit Ultimate Reloader with giving me the knowledge of how each press worked which enabled me to choose this one.

6. Bobby Johnson says:

Well I am the senior of most RCBS Pro 2000 owners
    Meaning I bought one of the first to be sold.
    I bought my Pro 2000 before they hit the retailers I ordered it.
    That was after I seen an ad in Hand Loader Magazine in January 2000 I think
    After seeing the ad I tried to find out some info about the Pro 2000 from Midway and other suppliers.
    They all told me the same thing they are waiting on them. So I called RCBS tech department.
    The RCBS tech guy told me they are waiting on parts to start assembling them for shipping.
    The next thing stuck me by surprise the tech guy asked me to hold on, a few seconds later
    Someone else answered the phone it was the president of RCBS,
    he asked me so you are interested in the Pro 2000, my reply was yes sir,
    He told me that over the years he had reloaded with just about every press made
    and that when you compare the Pro 2000 to any of them it is the easiest to use period.
    He also went on to say if I buy it save all the original boxes and packing along with the receipt.
    If I did not like it a month, 3 months, 6 months or a year after box it up and ship it back.
    They would refund me my money. The Pro 2000 is the first thing I ever bought sight unseen.
    Well I still have the press and it hasn’t had a single part brake on it after maybe 100,000 rounds.
    I have loaded with a lot of different press including
    Lee, Hornady, Dillon, Star, Texan and other RCBS presses
    They all work if you know what you’re doing
    What separates the presses is first ease of use and dependability
    Second is service from the company. RCBS and Dillon are second to none.
    Third is the cost of the press and how much does it cost for each caliper setup.
    Remember sometimes you get what you pay for; if you pay a little more you get a lot more.
    In my opinion dollar for dollar the RCBS Pro 2000 is the Best of the Best

7. Jeremy H says:

Everyone, I have been going round and round with Red, Blue or Green. I have decided Green. I have used RCBS in single stage, and own a lot of there dies. Anything I have called about to RCBS has been answered and handled without fail.
    Being in the stages, no pun intended, of comparing the three major brands of auto indexing progressive presses. I feel that this seems to be the easiest to understand, setup, and cheapest on caliber changes.
    The only worry I have is that I use mostly extruded powders, i.e H4895, N-120, IMR 4227, IMR 4350 and 2400. I am hoping that the powder dispenser will handle these powders accurately. Calibers I will be loading mostly are .223, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, 30-30, .25-06, and .303 British. I know this is a let’s hear from current owners, but could someone please relate to the accuracy of this powder dispenser with the mentioned powders?
    I guess if all else fails, I will be looking for new loads using ball powders. I am not looking forward to starting over years of load data because the hopper will not dispense accurately.
    Please forgive the long post. I feel this would be a place to get a very honest answer as your videos are very informative, in HD, and are superbly edited with just enough information to keep interest as well as hitting on the points that need to be hit upon to make a decision.

Thank you.

8. Angelo Triglia says:

I’m not a current user of this 2000 pro loader, but have been looking at the blue RL550B. You have helped me to stick with “green”. I also want to thank you for your kindness and respect for others, and for the simple fact that you didn’t have foul language in your video.

Angelo

9. Lori says:

Gavin: Thank you for a great video, and report. This and the response from other users is great. I am a NEW reloader. I chose the RCBS Pro2000 w/auto indexing. I too researched to death. It was really between Dillon and RCBS. I have to say I’m an underdog supporter! And I didn’t want to pay for “the name” when there are other brands out there that put out the same quality and have excellent customer support which RCBS does. Since I’m a newbie, I’m not proficient enough YET to load 5.56 Nato and hopefully soon 5.7×28. I’ll use a RCBS single press for 5.7×28. I love precision tools and I also happen to sell precision products. But I made a great choice and after you get over the initial set up cost, you can make better ammo than you can buy at Cabelas at much cheaper prices. So I’ll continue my studies and become the most proficient ammo maker I can and enjoy the processes, challenges etc that produce excellent ammo with a smile on my face

10. J says:

Hey,

I have to ask… I notice that in the last shot and sometimes in others I could see the reloader move. That is, as the arm was being worked, the whole press jumps and pitches a few mm.

Is that a bad thing? I had heard that this can cause variance, usually bad for the consistency of the rounds being reloaded.

Thanks

11. Mike Gautieri Sr says:

I am interested on building a reloading bench like I have seen in you videos. What is the name of the metal rail I see in the video.