If you’ve been following the “powder check systems” blog series, you may be wondering about how the Hornady Powder Cop die compares with all of the other powder check systems. Well, in this article we’ll take a look at this system, examine its features, and walk through setup with this die.
The Hornady powder cop die (Hornady #: 050063) is a simple powder check system that is easy to setup and use on any reloading press that accepts 7/8″ x 14 threaded dies. The die body acts as a carrier for the detection rod, and based on the load being checked, various heights can be used for placement of the white rubber O-Ring, which is used to indicate the powder level.
Setup and adjustment is easy and quick with the Hornady Powder Cop Die. Here are the steps for setup and adjustment of the Hornady Powder Cop Die:
- Select the proper detent for the white O-Ring (can do this while adjusting die height)
- Place a charged case at the same station in the press where you’ll be installing the Powder Cop Die
- Screw the Powder Cop Die down to the appropriate height based on the load and cartridge you’re working with
- Fine-tune the height of the die until the white O-Ring is flush with the top of the die body
- Lock the lock ring in place (hand tight OK)
- Pass the charged case through the powder check station again and fine tune die height as needed
That’s all there is to it! Very fast and easy.
Here’s a video that shows the features and setup process for this die:
This system is reliable and easy to use, but you have to be vigilant about watching the level indicator when loading. If you don’t keep an eye on your powder level, you could miss an over or under charge!
So we’ve covered the Dillon Powder Check System, the RCBS Lock-Out Die, and now the Hornady Powder Cop Die. That means there’s only one system left in our powder check systems series- the RCBS Powder Checker. Stay tuned!