Here it is! The long-awaited Progressive Press Shootout! This article and accompanying video is the most exhaustive and most in-depth look at progressive press reloading equipment. My goal is to help raise your level of awareness regarding what’s on the market and also to supply you with the insights, data, and supporting information to make informed purchasing decisions. Let’s get to it!
Ultimate Reloader LLC / Making with Metal Disclaimer: (by reading this article and/or watching video content you accept these terms)
- The content on this website (including videos, articles, ammunition reloading data, technical articles, gunsmithing and other information) is for demonstration purposes only.
- Do not attempt any of the processes or procedures shown or described on this website.
- All gunsmithing procedures should be carried out by a qualified and licensed gunsmith at their own risk.
- Do not attempt to repair or modify any firearms based on information on this website
- Ultimate Reloader, LLC and Making With Metal can not be held liable for property or personal damage due to viewers/readers of this website performing activities, procedures, techniques, or practices described in whole or part on this website.
- By accepting these terms, you agree that you alone are solely responsible for your own safety and property as it pertains to activities, procedures, techniques, or practices described in whole or part on this website.
Hornady Lock-N-Load AP
RCBS Pro Chucker 5
RCBS Pro Chucker 7
Mark 7 APEX 10
Dillon Square Deal B
Dillon RL 1100
Frankford Arsenal X-10
LEE Pro 1000
LEE Breech Lock Auto Pro (Pro 4000)
Total Cost of Ownership Recap
Inline Fabrication Mounts
KMS Squared UFO Press Lighting
Broken down per brand, each of the 12 progressive presses on the market as of Summer 2022 are included in the shootout. I want to send a huge “thanks” to all of the companies that provided the information and answered my questions during the production of this story.
What will be covered
For each press, the following will be covered:
- Overview of press
- Specs and capacities
- What’s in the box
- Die station utilization (example pistol setup)
- Total Cost of Ownership (for specific example configurations)
- Summary: What it’s for, not for, Pros, Cons
What will not be covered
While I would like to cover EVERYTHING, we also were committed to getting this shootout DONE. So we could not cover the following:
- Presses not announced as of Spring 2022, or where samples were not available
- Testing ammunition loaded on each press (not all presses could be setup with the same configurations, many variables, time to test)
- Obsolete presses (Such as the discontinued RCBS Pro-2000)
- Case prep presses (Such as the Dillon CP-2000)
Notes and Considerations
- I will be publishing corrections and updates to this article, so refer back as appropriate!
- Your mileage will vary! Your experiences may or may not resemble what I’ve experienced. If you have a different perspective, please leave a comment!
- Your cost will vary. With all of the options and specifics for cartridges and calibers, please consider Total Cost of Ownership data in this article as an approximation.
Thanks To Midsouth Shooters Supply
A big thanks to Midsouth Shooters Supply for the great business they run, and their support of Ultimate Reloader over the years. If you’re shopping, please consider shopping for a progressive press at Midsouth Shooters Supply!
With that, let’s get to the presses! Starting with Hornady!