XL650 Loading 45ACP (HD)

In this video you’ll see how to setup and load 45 ACP ammunition on a Dillon XL650 reloading press. In this video, I show how 3rd party dies (Hornady) work great on the Dillon XL650.

Video:

Click "HD" icon after playback starts to view in HD

Tags: , , , , , ,

74 Responses to “XL650 Loading 45ACP (HD)”

1. hyper79 says:

Bought my first progressive a SDB in 45 ACP last weekend. All I can say is why in lords name did I wait so long!!! I have loaded over 1500 rounds of 45 and did the caliber conversion to 9mm last night what a breeze that was. I started out with around 50 rounds of 9mm and plan to finish out 600 more tonight. If your looking for a amazing handgun reloading system the SDB would be a front runner for sure.

thanks Dillon
    H

2. by chance have you ever used a 1050 Dillon re-loader? if not would you be willing to try it. The way your vids work out its a little easier to follow than some of the other sources including the company websites. also it seems like an extra expense but Dillon, rcbs and some of the other manufacturers out there make what are called chamber molds (one of your videos shows chamber checking on a 1911) that’s nice but this tool does the same w/o the possibility of a accident. I’m not nit picking but weird things happen i almost got shot one day from a static electricity discharge from a friend holstering his 1911. and one last question that seems stupid but can you use other manufacturers dies with other manufacturers presses b/c i shoot some “odd” cartridges that aren’t offered by Dillon.

• Bill says:

Paul, I have a Dillon 2000, the forerunner of the 1050, so if you have questions about it I may be able to help (though not everything is the same). I’m not sure what you’re referring to as “chamber molds”, as I’m not familiar of any way of taking a mold of your chamber other than using Cerrosafe, lead, or some other low-melting point metal and casting it in your weapon’s chamber. If you could provide a link or further details, I may be able to help you. As for mixing brands of presses and dies, that should be no problem for 99% of the dies and presses out there. Most are 7/8″x14 TPI, which is considered an industry standard. There are exceptions, such as very large-bore cartridges like .50 BMG which use 1 1/4″, and some presses like Hornady’s LNL use quick-change bushings to hold the standard dies.

Hope this helps,
      Bill

3. Randy says:

I would like to see how a Lee case feeder and collator would fit on a XL650. There is a youtube video on it but it does not show how it was mounted. Thanks for all the info. Great site!

4. Eric Wilson says:

Paul,
    I use a Dillon 650 and love it. I personally would not do the 1050 simply because it comes with only a 1 year warranty. Most folks that have the 1050 it seems, reload commercially. And secondly, even for competitive shooters that may be putting several thousand rounds down range monthly, the 650 can still give you as much volume as you can stand. I just don’t see the 1050 being advantageous over a 650. I have also heard that they are finnicky from time to time.

• Mike Fruci says:

I load on both a Dillon XL650 and 1050. Here is my two cents of unsolicited opinion. If you are looking at both, trying to decide which one to buy, buy the XL650. No question. I have loaded thousands of rounds on both. The only “advantage” the 1050 has is the swage station for .223 and it is so finicky, it just slows you down. The second finicky thing on the 1050, the primer station. One primer gets funky on you and you have to break down the machine to clear and clean. The XL650 allows you the ability to insert and remove brass at any station, a huge benifit, in my opinion.

Least not to forget the warranty…… One year vs. LIFETIME…..

The next thing…..the 1050 is supposed to load 1000-1200 rounds per hour….the XL650 a meager 800-1000 rounds per hour. Here is what I know. I don’t pull the handle on the 1050 any faster than I do on the XL650…..lol. I load on BOTH at a rate of 600-1000 per hour, depending on the caliber, my mood and any hiccups I get on the machine…..

Did I mention caliber changes on the 1050 are around $500+ each and around $250 on the XL650????

I am sure the die hard 1050 guys out there will respond back, but this is my personal opinion since I currently load on both. If you have the ability to, just throw in a couple of extra bucks and buy TWO XL650’s in place of ONE 1050!!! Lol. Or just save the money for other things….like firearms and reloading supplies.

5. Mell531 says:

I do most of my reloading on a Dillon XL650 with a RCBS bullet feeder, works great and the bullet feeder will feed coated lead bullets, love it.