When I got my 30-30 Henry X-Model, I discovered just how much 30-30 ammunition I can go through in a week. In this video, I’ll show you the process of progressive reloading of 30-30 ammunitinon to keep up with my demand!
Ultimate Reloader LLC / Making with Metal Disclaimer: (by reading this article and/or watching video content you accept these terms)
- The content on this website (including videos, articles, ammunition reloading data, technical articles, gunsmithing and other information) is for demonstration purposes only.
- Do not attempt any of the processes or procedures shown or described on this website.
- All gunsmithing procedures should be carried out by a qualified and licensed gunsmith at their own risk.
- Do not attempt to repair or modify any firearms based on information on this website
- Ultimate Reloader, LLC and Making With Metal can not be held liable for property or personal damage due to viewers/readers of this website performing activities, procedures, techniques, or practices described in whole or part on this website.
- By accepting these terms, you agree that you alone are solely responsible for your own safety and property as it pertains to activities, procedures, techniques, or practices described in whole or part on this website.
The Rifle: Henry X Model 30-30
Recently, I got a Henry X Model 30-30 tactical lever action rifle, and have absolutely enjoyed shooting it! Here’s our overview video covering that rifle:
I’ve been shooting this rifle so much, I knew I needed to get setup to load 30-30 with a progressive press!
Enter the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP
For this loading task, I decided to use my trusty Hornady Lock-N-Load AP 5-station progressive reloading press (I have two, one setup for large primers, and one setup for small). Here’s my overview video covering specifics for that press:
For 30-30, I only needed to add three things:
- A set of Hornady 30-30 dies (2 die set)
- A #2 shellplate for the Lock-N-Load AP
- Two Hornady lock-n-load bushings
Hornady’s 160 grain FTX 30 Caliber Bullet
From the Hornady Product Page:
Hornady® FTX® bullets revolutionized lever gun ballistics, creating a new level of performance for these popular firearms. Lever gun enthusiasts can now harness the accuracy, power and long-range performance of a tipped bullet that’s safe to load in tubular magazines.
Hornady® offers the same Flex Tip® technology for handguns that revolutionized lever guns. Typical hollow point pistol bullets deliver good performance at modest velocities, but have a tendency to expand too quickly and sacrifice penetration at the higher velocities achieved with lever action guns.
Load Data and Components
For this load, I decided to use LEVERevolution powder from Hodgdon. This powder produces top velocity, which would be great for hunting!
Here’s the full list of load components and data:
- Bullet: Hornady FTX 160 grain 30 caliber 30-30 bullet
- Case: New Hornady 30-30 case
- Powder: LEVERevolution powder from Hodgdon
- Primer: Wolf Large Rifle
- 2.535″ COL
Use load data at your own risk. Ultimate Reloader is not responsible for errors in load data on this website. Always cross-reference load data with manufacturer’s published data.
Loading 30-30 on the Lock-N-Load AP
Loading 30-30 on the Lock-N-Load AP works really well! It’s a great way to crank out a lot of ammunition in a short period of time!
Here’s my die station utilization:
- Size De-Prime (die removed for new brass loading)
- Powder Charge
- [Reserved for powder check, will add next!]
- Seating, optional crimping (same die)
I loaded a couple hundred rounds which will be great for hunting, general target shooting, and specifically shooting steel targets!
Across the Chronograph
With an average velocity of 2453.2 FPS, these 30-30 loads were FAST, perhaps 200 fps faster than what is typical. I am totally happy with the velocity data here, but if inclined, I would look at the SD and ES values, and could probably get those down with some load development.
Progressive reloading 30-30- SUCCESS!
Get the Gear
Loading components and gear:
- Hornady 30-30 dies (2 die set)
- #2 shellplate for the Lock-N-Load AP
- Hornady lock-n-load bushings
- LEVERevolution powder from Hodgdon
- Hornady FTX 160 grain 30 caliber 30-30 bullet
- New Hornady 30-30 cases
Don’t miss out on Ultimate Reloader updates, make sure you’re subscribed!