It’s exciting to think about the future of rifle optics. One thing is for sure: technology is a game-changer for long range shooting and hunting. I recently took my first leap into this new world of “futuristic shooting”- it started when I got my ATN X-Sight 4K Pro 5-20x– a fully electronic scope with a list of features that’s a mile long. I’ve been using this scope for a few months now, and it’s literally changed what I can do with hunting and storytelling here on Ultimate Reloader. And in this article I’ll talk about my experiences so far with this scope but there’s a LOT more coming! consider this an “introduction”. You can get your own ATN X-Sight 4K PRO HERE.
ATN X-Sight 4K PRO Hardware Overview
The hardware interface for the ATN X-Sight 4K PRO is very streamlined and simple. Starting on the left-hand side of the scope we have:
Features shown above:
- Hardware buttons (primary hardware interface)
- Eyepiece: outer housing is focus ring for EVF (Electronic View Finder)
- Control wheel (zoom level in operation mode, distance entry in manual distance mode)
- Main focus ring (for different distances)
- Sun shade (included)
And on the right-hand side of the scope we have:
Features shown above:
- IR Illuminator (included)
- Micro SD card slot with weatherproof rubber cover
- USB-C port (for charging) with weatherproof rubber cover
Included with the ATN X-Sight 4K PRO
The X-Sight 4K PRO comes with everything you need to charge, mount, and use the scope:
- 30mm Rings and Bases: swept base, vertical base, vertical base with rail sections (shown above) for IR illuminator
- USB-C charging cable
- Eyepiece rubber hood (Eye cup)
- Instruction book and quick-start guide
- Carrying case (neoprene with zipper)
ATN X-Sight 4K PRO Tech Overview and Specs
There’s a LOT of technology and features packed into this scope, from the Amazon Product Page:
- Ultra HD Sensor-Ultra HD 4K Sensor with our Obsidian 4 Dual Core Processor brings you cutting edge technology with higher resolution,faster optics,millions of vivid colors
- Ballistic Calculator-Hunt responsibly by making sure your shot hits the target Each and Every time.Range,Wind,Multiple-Weapon Profiles,Angle to target,Temperature,Humidity,Plus more.
- Dual Stream Video Recording-You asked and we listened XSight 4K PRO not only Streams Video to your mobile device at HD resolution and can simultaneously Record to the SD card inside
- Night Vision Mode-The X-Sight 4K PRO offers an Enhanced HD Night Vision Mode.Don’t let the darkness slow you down
- Ultra Low Power Profile-No more worries about your batteries dying in field.At 18+ hours of Continuous operation X-Sight 4K will last as long as you do.Mount:30 mm Standard Rings (included)
- RAV (Recoil Activated Video) Recoil Activated Video (RAV) takes care of all your worries. Just relax and focus on your game and let Obsidian Core do the heavy lifting.
The ATN X-Sight 4K PRO is available in two versions, 3-14x, and 5-20x (I have the 5-20x model)- here’s the specs:
Here are some of my favorite features:
- One-Shot Zero: As demonstrated in the video, this feature takes “much of the pain” out of zeroing your scope
- Dual-Stream Video: The X-Sight 4K Pro has built-in WiFi, and with the Obsidian 4 mobile app you can do all sorts of things including see the view (live video) through the scope
- Integrated Ballistics: You can enter the ballistic information for your load and the scope will automatically calculate and compensate for distance, look-angle, tilt, etc.
- Recoil-Activated Video: The scope can be setup to automatically record before and after each shot (total clip length is configurable!)
ATN X-Sight 4K PRO as a Video Camera
There are two scenarios where the on-board video/photo capabilities of the X-Sight 4K PRO are VERY helpful- capturing shooting action for stories, and capturing hunting action as it unfolds. Filming takes a LOT of time and effort, and is prone to many different mishaps and issues:
- Having a camera ready to go
- Memory card management
- Audio recording
- Digiscoping issues and challenges (using a camera to capture the view through a scope or other optic)
X-Sight 4K PRO takes care of most of these issues for me when I’m recording the “first person” view through a scope. Digiscoping is a non-issue/non-requiement, battery life is VERY good, video is captured automatically (via Recoil-Activated Video), Audio is captured automatically (great for syncing up with other clips in post-production), and video files are very small/compact (1920×1080, full HD). The video from this article is a great illustration of how I will be using this scope in my work.
Here’s a still from the video showing a three-way view:
- Firing line camera (top)
- ATN X-Sight 4K Pro view through scope (bottom left)
- Target cam (bottom right)
This is a much more compelling way to tell stories via video- and it has made my life a lot easier…
ATN X-Sight 4K PRO for Hunting
Hunting is a scenario where I feel like the X-Sight 4K Pro (and my ATN THOR 4 LT – more on that in upcoming stories!) is an absolute necessity. With RAV (Recoil Activated Video) I literally don’t need to think about camera work- it happens automatically. And I love the fact that this scope captures audio as well- for field notes, and to capture the hunter’s reaction to what’s going on. I’m looking forward to posting a lot more hunting videos and articles in the months and years to come!
A note about hunting rock chucks: Rock chucks have been responsible for substantial property damage at the Ultimate Reloader Outpost, including digging under my shop containers (compromising the footing), damaging property around the cabin, digging holes everywhere, and more. I hunt these creatures to try and keep the population down, but they just keep coming back. It’s endless.
Issues and Fixes
I have run two versions of the firmware for this scope: 3.1.05.349 (came installed on scope, was current at the time), and 3.1.06.386 (just updated).
A couple issues were observed with version 3.1.05.349 of the firmware: (as of 05/25/2019)
- The scope froze up twice in about 10 hours of use
- The WiFi was not super-stable when using special software (non-public app: used to capture video stream with menus, etc)
Since upgrading to the 3.1.06.386 version of the firmware, the WiFi stability is much improved, and I haven’t had any issues with the scope freezing up.
What’s Coming Next
There is so much more to talk about related to this scope! I’ve got more accessories and scenarios to look at including laser rangefinder integration, night mode hunting, and much more. In addition to that, I’ll be featuring this scope in regular/ongoing shooting stories. But perhaps the most exciting thing is that I will also be covering the ATN THOR 4 640 4-40X thermal night vision scope (the best thermal scope ATN makes!). Very excited to share that with you all.
Don’t miss out on Ultimate Reloader updates, make sure you’re subscribed!
One thought on “ATN X-Sight 4K Pro Hands-On: Unboxing, Overview, Setup, 400y Steel, Hunting Action”
Have you had a chance to test a scope at night and what are your thoughts about it? I really enjoy your videos and look forward to seeing them in the future.