If you are like me, you’ve been eagerly awaiting the availability of the new Hornady Lock-N-Load Iron reloading press system. I have been working with Hornady on getting the first videos up for this press, and literally received the first kit off the line. In this series, I’ll cover this new press system and kit (the kit adds most of what you’ll need to start reloading) in great detail. If you have anything specific you’d like to know, please leave a comment at the end of this post, and I’ll see what I can do!
The Hornady Lock-N-Load Iron press is available in two basic flavors:
- The Lock-N-Load Iron Press assembly (you can add an optional priming system and accessories separately)
- The Lock-N-Load Iron Press Kit (comes with priming system and a ton of accessories and supplies geared towards rifle reloading)
I got the Iron Press Kit, and it comes with everything seen here:
Note: this press kit also includes a shell holder kit (#1, #2, #5, # 16, #35) which is not pictured here.
Standard features include:
- Cast Iron frame – Heaviest / most rigid in class (26 pounds assembled weight)
- Same mounting pattern as Hornady AP / Classic Press and RCBS Rock Chucker
- Ambidextrous operation
- Patented Lock-N-Load bushing system
- Patented Shell Holder Platform (Only compatible with Hornady, RCBS, and Lee Shellholders)
- Manual prime system
- Accessory Mounting Deck for case prep tools
- 1 1/8” solid steel ram provides industry leading strength
Included with the Lock-N-Load Iron Press Kit:
- Automatic Priming System
- Die caddy
- Component feed bin & bracket
- Digital Scale
- Case prep accessories (chamfer & deburr tool / large & small primer pocket cleaners / neck brushes [22 cal / 25 cal\6mm / 270 cal\7mm / 30 cal / 35 cal / 45 cal]
- Powder Measure
- Reloading Handbook
- Unique Case lube
- Lock-N-Load Comparator set of 6
- Lock-N-Load Die Bushings 3 pk
- Powder funnel 22-45 cal
- Digital caliper
- Shell holder kit (#1, #2, #5, # 16, #35)
I was excited to see the Hornady Lock-N-Load Bench Scale included in this kit, and the fact that this scale comes with an AC adapter- this means I don’t have to worry about running out of batteries! I’ll show this scale in use in upcoming installments of the Ruger Precision Rifle reloading series (that’s what I’m going to use this press for first).
Another really nice addition to this kit is a 0-6″ Hornady digital caliper with extra-large numbers: something I’ve been wanting for a long time. You can’t get too many pairs of digital calipers in your shop, and the extra large numbers are WAY easier to read than the numbers on my other digital calipers.
If you are getting outfitted to load rifle ammunition, there are some basic things you’ll need to get started. In the following chart, I’ve listed my “basic rifle reloading” components and gear list. I’ve also indicated here which items are included in the Hornady Lock-N-Load Iron Press Kit.
|Included in Kit||Item|
|Yes||Precision scale, digital or mechanical|
|Yes||Chamfering and deburring tool|
|Yes||Primer Pocket Cleaner|
|No||Brass, previously fired or new|
|No||Brass tumbler and media|
|No||Universal Reloading block|
|No||Case tumbling media|
|No||Powder trickler (optional)|
Once you have all the gear, you’ll be ready to start reloading. There are plenty more things that are “nice to have”, but with these items you can get started reloading, and will have everything you’ll need to produce reliable accurate ammunition.
Next, we’ll setup this press and get it ready for reloading. Stay tuned!