I’ve been working with RCBS on some issues related to the priming system on the RCBS Pro Chucker (5 and 7) for a while now addressing issues where the primer slider can break. Today, I’m happy to announce that RCBS has replacement primer sliders available for all Pro Chucker owners that will address these issues!
Here’s the full story with a description of the issue, how to fix your primer slider, and how to avoid priming system issues on the RCBS Pro Chucker presses:
As mentioned in the video, RCBS has made two updates to the primer sliders- here’s a side by side view of the old style (original) on the left, next to the updated style on the right:
There are two key changes to note here:
- The area where the “post” joins up with the main body of the slider has been strengthened significantly (via stress reduction cutouts)
- The area of the primer slider where the hole is located is “stepped down” to avoid primers getting bound when dispensing a primer from the primer drop tube
Here’s a closeup showing the “step down” feature on the updated primer sliders (this is a prototype, shipping units will have a different texture on the step down):
If you need to replace your primer slider, you can do so without unloading reloading stations or emptying the primer drop tube. Here’s the process I show in the video above:
- Remove the primer slider return spring
- Remove the rear guard (remove allen screw)
- Remove the primer drop tube assembly (remove allen screw, pivot, catch primers with finger, lift off)
- With the ram raised slightly (moves primer punch out of the way) remove primer slider
- With the ram raised slightly, slide new slider into place
- Replace the primer drop tube assembly
- Replace the rear guard
- Put spring back in position (on primer slider vertical post)
That’s it! It’s a part of the same process you follow when changing the press over from large to small primers and vice versa.If you need to get new primer sliders for your RCBS Pro Chucker 5 or 7 press, all you have to do is email or call!
Here’s the info:
- RCBS Tech Support email (can issue replacement parts): firstname.lastname@example.org
- RCBS Tech Hotline: 800-379-1732
I hope that’s helpful to all of you Pro Chucker loaders out there! I’ve been using the updated sliders with good success. See you all- I’m back to loading!