AR-308 – Loading the LR-308b – Project Kickoff

I’m excited to announce a new project we’ll be working through here on http://ultimatereloader.com that will extend some of what we did with AR-MPR, but this time we’ll focus on the “big brother” to the AR-15- the AR-10 platform, specifically the DPMS LR-308B. For optics, we’ll get an up-close look at the Bushnell/Millett TRS-1 tactical scope.

Watch the video to get a preview of what will be covered:

Looking forward to sharing this experience with you all!

Thanks,
Gavin

Tags: , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “AR-308 – Loading the LR-308b – Project Kickoff”

1. Mark Robertson says:

Let me start out by saying how much I enjoy your site! As the owner of both an AR-15 and and an Armalite AR-10, I’m looking forward to your latest .308 project. A quick question…is it actually correct to refer to the AR-10 as a ‘platform’? My understanding is that the only true AR-10 is built by Armalite; all others (including DPMS) are .308 versions of the AR-15 platform. I know it’s cutting hairs, but the AR-10 guys will be all over you on that point! :-)

Keep up the fantastic work!

• Gavin says:

Thanks Mark! Good question- I think of the AR-10 as the “first” AR, and the original AR-in-308 platform. I use “AR-10 platform” in loose terms. Perhaps that’s not totally correct. I gues “AR-308″ as a project title is better and more general. :)

2. Mark Robertson says:

It’s a perfect title if you ask me! Are you going to develop rounds specifically for the rifle you build? How you approach that subject might be interesting for those of us building custom loads. Good luck!

• Gavin says:

Thanks Mark- yes, we’ll dial in the loads for this rifle (twist rate, barrel length, chamber/magazine dimensions, etc) – precision stuff, and a lot of fun.

3. Andy says:

Hey people!
    I am new to reloading and have decided to go with a dillon. I cannot decide between the 550 and the 650. Any thoughts on this would be most apreciated. Laslty, which is beter for case cleaning, dry media or the wet ultrasonic type?
    Againm thansk for any inof you can provide.
    Andy

• Chad says:

Hey Andy,
      I have been reloading for many years and I would say it really doesn’t matter which of the dillon presses you get.. The only thing I would throw in from my experiences is that it depends how many rounds that you are going to be producing. I have had the Square deal, the 550 and the 650 I currently am using and I love it. As fare as case cleaning goes I have always used the dry corn cob or the dry walnut shell. Good luck. Chad

4. Terry Sands says:

I was excited to see your project because I have purchased the same gun (LR-308b). I researched the short barrel on the gun and found that short barrels can actually increase accuracy, but you sacrifice velocity. I was hoping you would address how to maximize the velocity possible out of this barrel. (powder burn rates, gas port adjustment, bullet size etc.) I realize a person can’t sacrifice every thing they want out of a gun just to increase velocity, but I am interested in your thoughts on this question. Thanks Terry

5. David Brooks says:

Gavin,

Thanks for all the good work you do. I’ve spent countless hours researching the reloading system I am purchasing. I look forward to following the AR-10 build! I’m shooting silhouette now and given the success of your AR-15 build, I’m inclined to follow your build for my next silhouette rifle!

Keep up the great work!

Dave

6. Rob Schmid says:

Gavin,
    Is there a reason why you chose YHM products?

7. Dennis says:

Great project! I have an LR-308 that I have somewhat modified and do custom loads for and I love it. It is so accurate. Looking forward to learning even more from you guys!

Dennis

8. Steve says:

When do you anticipate the start of the project, I am interested in following the build, and ultimately building my own.

9. Bob says:

Just came across your web site, nice article on the DPMS LR308B. Any thoughts about expanding upon this build to include reducing recoil via an adjsutable gas block and/or adding a compensator. Alot of articles out there about the subject, also alot of opinions. Nothing definitive about the results or benefits of such modifications.

10. Bill G. Felkey says:

Gavin

I watched the whole AR 308 loading process and wanted to know where to locate the results you achieved on the range. Can you help me with a link? Thanks.

Bill

Fantastic videos!

11. daniel cocanour says:

how about a series on the .300 blackout.